New report from Save the Children warns of ‘unprecedented global education emergency’.
- World is facing a hidden education emergency.
- COVID-19 leaves estimated $77 billion gap in education spending for world’s poorest children.
- Children in 12 countries are at extremely high risk of dropping out of school forever.
- In another 28 countries children are at moderate or high risk of not going back to school.
- Girls are at increased exposure to gender-based violence and risk of child marriage and teen pregnancy during school closures.
- Save the Children calls for increased funding of education, including conversion of debt liabilities into investment in children.
Deep budget cuts to education and rising poverty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic could force at least 9.7 million children out of school forever by the end of this year, with millions more falling behind in learning, Save the Children warns in a new report launched today.