Though through you the world was made,
the world do not recognize you.(1)
Are you unhappy?
People expected you were their King
but you were nothing.
You were born in a manger.(2)
You were a carpenter when you grew up.(3)
Then you were a rabbi (which means teacher)(4),
the rabbi who had no place to lay his head.(5)
You touched the dirtiest things.
A Samaritan woman.
Your disciples’ feet…
You did all these things
because you knew
where you came from and where you were going.(6)
(1) John 1:10 – He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
(2) Luke 2:7 – and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.
(4) John 1:38 – Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”
They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”
(5) Matthew 8:20 – Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
(6) John 8:14 – Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.