Dear brothers and sisters,
Who was Jesus?
Jesus was a child who was born in a manger. (Luke 2:7)
He was a carpenter when he grew up. (Mark 6:3)
Then he was a rabbi (which means teacher) (John 1:38),
the rabbi who had no place to lay his head. (Matthew 8:20)
Jesus was nothing.
His people expected him who would have been their King but he was nothing.
He was nothing. And he touched the dirtiest things. Tax collectors, a Samaritan woman, his disciples’ feet…
Tax collectors: In Israel then, the Jews saw tax collectors as betrayers who betrayed their country. No one befriended them. Except Jesus. He befriended them. He came to Matthew’s house, the house of the tax collector. Then he had dinner with Matthew and other tax collectors and sinners. (Matthew 9:9-13)
Samaritan woman: In Israel then, Jews do not associate with Samaritans. Jesus was a Jew. Moreover Jesus was a rabbi. A rabbi would not be allowed to talk with a woman alone. However Jesus talked with a Samaritan woman and, even worse, declared first with her that he was the Messiah. (John 4:4–26)
Disciples’ feet: In the Jewish society then, the washing the others’ feet was the lowliest task, even servants didn’t do. However Jesus washed the others’ feet. Moreover Jesus washed the feet of his own disciples. (John 13)
John (John the Apostle) was one of the twelves apostles of Jesus. John said about Jesus, “though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.” (John 1:10)
So who was Jesus?
Jesus was nothing. And he touched the dirtiest things.
Jesus did all these things – being nothing and touching the dirtiest things – because he knew where he came from and where he was going. (John 8:14)
Have a Jesus day.
Phạm Thu Hương
Bài cùng chuỗi:
- Who was Jesus (1) – The weak
- Who was Jesus? (2) – Jesus was nothing. And he touched the dirtiest things.
- Who was Jesus? (3) – Jesus was a rabbi who had no place to lay his head.
- Who was Jesus? (4) – Jesus was a person who prayed continually.
- Who was Jesus? (5) – Jesus was a person who loved people unconditionally.
- Who was Jesus? (6) – Jesus was a person who loved and respected women.
- Who was Jesus? (7) – Jesus was a person who knew what eating and drinking were.