Dear brothers and sisters,
Concentration is a skill that can be acquired from practicing. Some people are born with it, but most people obtain it by practicing. And it is fairly easy to practice.
Before talking about practice, you may want to take note that your success in life depends heavily on your ability to concentrate your mind. If you mind is scattered all over the places, you know very well that you cannot achieve anything of substance. If you use all your day to daydream in classes, run around coffee shops, make calls to 12 friends to chat, go to the swimming pool for 20 minutes, read your homework assignments for a half hour while chatting at the same time, eat dinner, watch TV, and then go to bed. What have you accomplished in the day other than throwing a chunk of your precious time out of the window?
The prerequisite for accomplishing something is your concentration on finishing that thing. If you don’t focus on finishing the work, you will accomplish nothing. It is that simple.
So, my friends,
– Sit down to translate a short text of English for an hour each day, with your phone and Facebook off, until you’re done.
– Practice your guitar each day at least one hour, if you want to be a guitarist.
– Go to your Aikido class without skipping, until you get your black belt.
– Bake a cake every two days, until you become a famous baker.
– Do at least two hours of mathematics each day, if you want to be a mathematician.
– Or do sitting meditation an hour each day to train your mind to focus on your breath and nothing else.
Friends, people say “Patience is mother of success.” Well, patience will not work if you just run around patiently with a scattered brain, or patiently daydream in the class, or patiently sleep all day.
Patience means patiently doing something until the task is done. Thus, concentration is an innate element of patience. If you have patience, you have concentration. If you have no concentration, you have no patience.
So, concentrate on what you want to be in the future, and on what you have to do “now and here” to make your wish a reality someday.
Wish you concentrate well.
© copyright 2019
Trần Đình Hoành
Permitted for non-commercial use