Gaddafi subject to ICC arrest warrant

Libya: Muammar Gaddafi subject to ICC arrest warrant

Muammar Gaddafi plays chess with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, the president of the international chess federation, in Tripoli on 12 June, 2011 in a still image taken from Libyan state TV broadcast
Muammar Gaddafi is accused of personally ordering attacks on civilians

The International Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi, accusing him of crimes against humanity.

The court had grounds to believe he had ordered attacks on civilians during Libya’s four-month uprising, it said.

The Hague-based court also issued warrants for two of Col Gaddafi’s top aides – his son Saif al-Islam and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Sanussi.

Thousands of people are believed to have been killed in the conflict.

Anti-Gaddafi forces said on Monday they had launched a new push towards Tripoli, with heavy fighting near the strategic town of Bir al-Ghanam, to the south-west of capital.

The rebel defence minister told the BBC that forces opposed to Col Gaddafi may also make a move on the capital from the east.

‘Unquestioned control’

The ICC arrest warrants refer to early weeks of the uprising, from 15 February until “at least 28 February”.

ICC warrants of arrest

  • Issued against Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and Abdullah al-Senussi
  • For alleged criminal responsibility for the commission of murder and persecution as crimes against humanity from 15 February 2011 onwards
  • Charges relate to actions of Libyan State apparatus and security forces in Tripoli, Benghazi, Misrata and elsewhere in Libya

The statement, read out by presiding judge Sanji Monageng, said there were “reasonable grounds to believe” that the three men were “criminally responsible” for the murder and persecution of civilians.

As the “recognised and undisputed leader of Libya”, said the court, Col Gaddafi had “absolute, ultimate and unquestioned control” over the state.

He introduced a state policy “aimed at deterring and quelling by any means, including by the use of force, the demonstrations of civilians against the regime”, the court alleged.

The warrant says that while Saif al-Islam Gaddafi holds no official position in Libya, he is “the most influential person” in Col Gaddafi’s inner circle.

Mr Sanussi, said the court, had “indirectly instructed the troops to attack civilians demonstrating” in Benghazi, the city that has become the rebels’ stronghold.

The BBC’s Andrew Harding in Misrata said there was celebratory gunfire on the streets of the besieged city as the news emerged.

“We are extremely happy that the whole world has united in prosecuting Gaddafi for the crimes he has committed,” rebel council spokesman Jalal al-Galal told Reuters news agency from the rebel stronghold Benghazi. “The people feel vindicated by such a response.”

On the military front, meanwhile, the rebels have advanced some six miles (10km) towards Tripoli in the past 24 hours, says the BBC’s Mark Doyle on the front line about 40 miles south-west of the capital.

The fighting is taking place on a plain of rock and sand between Bir al-Ghanem and Bir Ayyad a few miles to the south, with shells whistling overhead in both directions and plumes of smoke and sand rising into the air, he says.

The rebels seem better armed in this strategic area than elsewhere in the country, adds our correspondent, who saw several pick-up trucks full of rebel soldiers – in clean uniforms and new-looking rocket launchers and rifles – heading for the front line.

‘No legitimacy’

The warrants had been requested by chief ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo in May. He has said Col Gaddafi must be arrested in order to protect civilians.

Continue reading the main story

Analysis

image of Andrew Harding Andrew Harding BBC News, Misrata


There were celebrations across Misrata today, with car horns beeping, and a lot of gunfire in the air as people greeted the news from the ICC.

This still besieged city has suffered a great deal at the hands of Col Gaddafi’s forces, which have pounded the city itself and killed many civilians.

A lot of people I’ve been speaking to say they believe Col Gaddafi should face justice in the Hague. But, when pressed, many people also say that if his internal or external exile or house arrest would end this war quicker, they’d be happy to accept that.

But the Libyan authorities have previously said they do not recognise the court and are not concerned by the threat of a warrant.

On Sunday, government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said the court was overly preoccupied with pursuing African leaders and had “no legitimacy whatsoever”.

The ICC announcement came as the international air operation in Libya, aimed at protecting civilians, enters its 100th day.

It was welcomed by Nato Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who said the court’s decision highlighted the increasing isolation of the Libyan regime.

“It reinforces the reason for Nato’s mission to protect the Libyan people from Gaddafi’s forces,” said Mr Fogh Rasmussen in Brussels.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said the court’s decision further demonstrated “why Gaddafi has lost all legitimacy and why he should go immediately”.

Mr Hague called on people within the Libyan regime to abandon the leader and said those responsible for “atrocities” must be held to account.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy echoed those sentiments, saying of the Libyan leader: “After 41 years of dictatorship, it is perhaps time to stop, for him to leave power.”

Map of fighting

 

 

\Đại tá Gaddafi cùng con trai nay bị truy nã

Quan tòa của Tòa án Hình sự Quốc tế ở Hague ra lệnh truy nã lãnh đạo Libya, Đại tá Gaddafi cùng hai người thân cận nhất – con trai Saif al Islam và lãnh đạo tình báo Abdullah al Sanousi.

Hôm qua, chánh công tố của tòa án, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, nói tội ác chống nhân loại đang tiếp tục ở Libya và rằng phải bắt giữ Đại tá Gaddafi.

Như vậy chính thức Đại tá Gaddafi nay là kẻ bị truy nã, cùng với con trai và người nắm ngành tình báo.

Chánh án của tòa ở Hague nói việc ra lệnh bắt chưa phải đồng nghĩa việc ba người này có tội. Tòa sẽ quyết định liệu rốt cuộc có đưa ba người này đến Hague hay không.

Nhưng ông nói có lý do hợp lý để tin rằng Đại tá Gaddafi chịu trách nhiệm cho những tội ác của an ninh Libya ở Tripoli, Benghazi và Misrata từ sau ngày 15 tháng Hai năm nay, khi xảy ra nổi dậy ở Libya.

Chừng nào ông còn ngồi ở Tripoli, hẳn Đại tá Gaddafi chẳng phải lo lắng gì về lệnh bắt.

Nhưng lệnh của tòa chắc chắn khiến ý định chạy ra nước ngoài sống lưu vong trở nên khó khăn hơn.

Trả lời

Mời bạn điền thông tin vào ô dưới đây hoặc kích vào một biểu tượng để đăng nhập:

WordPress.com Logo

Bạn đang bình luận bằng tài khoản WordPress.com Đăng xuất /  Thay đổi )

Google+ photo

Bạn đang bình luận bằng tài khoản Google+ Đăng xuất /  Thay đổi )

Twitter picture

Bạn đang bình luận bằng tài khoản Twitter Đăng xuất /  Thay đổi )

Facebook photo

Bạn đang bình luận bằng tài khoản Facebook Đăng xuất /  Thay đổi )

Connecting to %s